Any idea what we're talking about? A call-to-action is an individual block of text information or an image with text on that gives the reader a suggested next step - what you think they should do next.
CTAs are like marketing fairy dust.
While we like to think of our fellow humans as smart and capable, we also need a push in the right direction and putting a CTA that says 'click here' or 'do this' can make a huge difference to your sales. Really. Here are some examples of CTAs in use:
A good CTA should have the following things:
1. A great, strong verb. A doing word. 'Do this' has 'Do' in it. Here are some verbs and actions you can use:
2. A reason for doing the thing you are telling them to do. A 'why'. Don't miss this step. It is really important to give the reader the benefit to them for doing what you are saying. Is it going to help them save money/do a better job/impress their team/help them lose weight? Say so.
3. Enthusiasm. Give your words some energy. As with everything in marketing, tailor it to your target market. In some parts of the world, writing 'CLICK HERE NOW!!!' is enthusiastic. In others, it is aggressive and shouty, so use what is appropriate. This also applies to using urgency and the Fear Of Missing Out (FOMO) tactic, by trying to scare your target market into doing what you want. Use them gently...
4. Space to fit on a mobile device. Many people use their phones for everything and so your CTA must a) fit on the screen, b) be easily readable and c) be clickable.
5. Creativity. Use interesting words if possible. The more creative you are, the longer people will take to read your instructions and the longer they take, the more likely they are to understand them and do them.
To get your CTAs bring in leads and sales for your business, check out our small business marketing online courses and talk to us for coaching help with your business marketing.
(See what we did there... 😁)
Where are you going to stick your CTAs?